Navy to host outreach events to establish new connections with small businessesNews
March 22, 2019
ARLINGTON, Va. The U.S. Navy is hosting a trio of outreach events through its Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs, in conjunction with the University of Massachusetts Lowell Research Institute (UML RI), in Lowell, Massachusetts, April 8-11, 2019.
This year’s events will spotlight New England’s regional technology corridor, known for its prominent academic institutions, research centers, laboratories, and science- and defense-focused companies.
“Outreach events like these help foster collaboration to enhance the innovation network and pipeline, and accelerate the delivery of needed technologies to the Navy and Marine Corps,” said SBIR Director Bob Smith. “It’s part of a new naval effort to deliver capabilities to warfighters faster by expanding relationships with regional technology hubs. This year, New England is the first stop.”
The effort aims to establish new connections with innovative small businesses and research companies, reaching these players where they live and work. SBIR provides the Navy with groundbreaking technology created by small firms, while STTR transitions products developed by both small businesses and research institutions to the Navy and Marine Corps. UML RI leverages the innovative science and technology research arm of UML to solve DoD challenges.
The three events are:
- Partnering Summit: This is a setting where the naval acquisition community, government, industry and research organizations can meet to discuss naval priorities, share best practices and learn about partnership opportunities with SBIR and STTR.
- Monday, April 8, and Tuesday, April 9, at the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center. Learn more at https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/SBIRSTTR.
- Navy Forum for SBIR/STTR Transition (FST): FST is an annual innovation marketplace matching Navy needs with small business-technology solutions. Attendees can see 133 exhibits from 107 vendors; engage in one-on-one meetings; listen to Tech Talks; and sit in on sessions hosted by congressional and Department of Defense leaders.
- Wednesday, April 10, and Thursday, April 11, at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell. Learn more at https://navyfst.com/.
- Accelerated Delivery and Acquisition of Prototype Technologies (ADAPT) Workshop: ADAPT is a new approach to match non-traditional small businesses with naval needs and quick research-and-development funding. This half-day workshop will feature technology briefs on pre-released areas of interest from a Navy shipyard; discussion about the proposal process and contracting; and opportunities for face-to-face conversations with subject matter experts.
- Wednesday, April 10, from 8 a.m. to noon. UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center. Learn more at https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/ADAPT.