Radar/EW - Power Electronics
Military IC aftermarket trends -- Q & A with Dale Lillard, president of Lansdale Semiconductor
Decades-old military platforms like the Aegis weapon system and the Patriot missile defense systems, as well as key systems for fighter jets like the F-16, continue to go through modernizations and embrace open architecture designs, but critical integrated circuits (ICs) used in these systems have not changed since they were originally designed in the 1970s and 1980s. The U.S. military relies on aftermarket suppliers such as Lansdale Semiconductor to design these components exactly as they were first built by various semiconductor companies decades ago.
In this Q&A with Dale Lillard, president of Lansdale Semiconductor (Phoenix, Arizona), he shares how the military IC aftermarket performs compared to the rest of the defense electronics market, how this market segment is impacted by the global pandemic, and the vagaries of counterfeit-part mitigation. He also provides updated insights into several controversies he called attention to in the government IC-procurement process over the years. Edited excerpts follow.
- OnTime Networks’ CM-4012F0-AER Gigabit Ethernet Switch selected by Airbus for use in flight test instrumentation high speed data acquisition system applications.
- Tactical UAS for Europe will use AdaCore software tools
- Rugged avionics system to equip eVTOL air taxi
- EGI-M navigation system for airborne platforms completes CDR
- Archerfish sensor-based mine neutralizers in development for Navy
- Large unmanned surface vessel study led by Lockheed Martin
- SeaGuardian RPA completes maritime test flights with GA-ASI
- Automated target recognition options developed for Gavia vehicles
- Hypersonics research and development led by UTA and Ansys
- New 6U SBC Incorporates Intel 9th Gen CPU, Aligns with SOSA Technical Standard
- Rugged single board computers by Abaco chosen for Navy destroyers
- Delta Digital Video’s Encoders Included in Royal Australian Navy’s ANZAC Class Frigate
- Portable satellite imagery ground systems to be delivered to U.S. Army
- TT Electronics gains U.S. defense footprint with acquisition of Torotel
- True cost: Obsolescence can mean millions
- KeyRadar in AgilePod completes testing with Air Force